Saturday, January 21, 2012

Emo Goth: Does It Exist?

Now let me preface this by saying that one cannot be both Emo and Goth at the same time, and no one is an exception (sorry to crush all of your lovely hopes and dreams, Posers). However, what if there was yet another "type" of Goth that allowed you to be the next best thing? C'mon, do you really think it's that hard?

I've heard time and time again that there is no such thing as an "Emo Goth," and I want to make it clear that while I don't know the right answer, I am open-minded about the subject.

"Although the term 'Emo' has been around for over a decade or so to describe a paricular genre of Punk, it has recently become a buzzword of the 21st century to describe the features of the contemporary youth fashion movement. Visually a hodgepodge of many different styles including Punk, Retro, a touch of urban Japanese and Goth, it was inevitable that Emo would start demonsrating crossovers with Goth at some point."

(You can see the rest of this, uh, article here.)

I have a distinct feeling that, if this is true, then many people are probably going to get angry with those who describe themselves to be an Emo Goth while not being an emo and a goth at the same time. I think that it's perfectly possible for a person to be in love with the rock genre of Emo as well as Goth. Or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. But I'm going to do some work on this, and I invite anyone reading this to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I think it rather depends on whether the person identifies with the music of a subculture, or the stylings. I don't find goth and emo music strikingly similar, so from my vantage point, Emo Goth is nothing more than an uninformed person trying to label something they don't know much about.

    ReplyDelete