Thursday, January 26, 2012

ENTER: Luna

Luna was my first best friend.

We met in the early days of kindergarten, during nap-time. If you're wondering why I didn't know who she was by whatever time that was by then, it's because I've always been rather introverted and tend not to hang around the others (for example, I often didn't want to play with the other kids on the playground at school). Therefore, it wasn't that much of a surprise that I hadn't talked to Luna that much at all. We hit it off fairly quickly, all though I think we were the only ones making any sort of noise, as it was nap time. I hardly ever went to sleep during those periods and hated them with a passion, but it was what it was, and I often simply sat around, lost in my own thoughts. So when Luna and I started giggling in that weird little kiddish sort of way . . . we never expected the teacher to hear us. I mean, after all, usually small kids are so stealthy, right? But maybe that teacher was a ninja in disguise, who knows?

Anyway, this girl and I started talking more and more, on the bus and on the playground and when we could during the day (which, considering that it was kindergarten, was quite a bit). It got to the point where I was always staying over at her house--which wasn't very far from the apartment complex that my family was living in at the time--every weekend. We became the best of friends, and I occasionally conversed with her older sister . . . . We were the same on many levels, and different on many others. She and I had arguments over the stupidest stuff multiple times, but our friendship has remained all this time.

A picture of Luna, stolen from one of her albums on Facebook.

She moved when we were in the third grade to the town over with her grandmother. I still came over to her house just about every weekend, and remained to be good friends, however surprising that may sound. Even so, though, Luna and I needed new people to socialize with. She met new people, and I started talking with those that I had known since kindergarten. I started to hang out more with the guys once she left, being the tomboy that I am, and interestingly enough, she started to hang out with Neji's cousin (but I didn't know about that until just last year).

Luna moved from Mississippi to Texas around the time when I was in the fourth grade. All though I was sad to see her go--just as most friends are--I had a feeling that she would be happier in Texas with her father than she would be back over here with her mother.

After she moved, I think I seen her once more--and that was four years ago, I think one or two days before I started talking to Neji. I don't remember if we spent the night, or if we just hung out, but we did something at that time.

I caught up with her on Facebook the summer after he seventh grade, I believe, and we talked a couple of times.

Shortly after I met Elise, I started noticing that Luna was posting more and more pictures of some anime show that I had never seen before (Tokyo Mew Mew, I think?), and her profile picture was considerably "gothic," if you know what I mean. I messaged her and asked her about it, and asked her if she had turned to the Goth subculture. She seemed to be very hesitant in giving me a yes or no answer, saying that she didn't know. I sent her to The Ultimate Goth Guide, and after reading it, she told me that she definitely was.

One day I may see her again, but for now we just have to settle with Facebook.

P.S. Her birthday is the thirty-first of October.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally with you. I'm an introvert myself, so the friends I have had to come to me and sort of nag me until I opened up. I couldn't sleep during naps either; not at school, anyway. ^_^

    I've always wondered what it would be like to have a Halloween birthday—I hope she has fun with them.

    It's good that you can keep in touch with her. Some friendships are transient and shouldn't be mourned too much, but others just stick, and those are the ones to hold close.

    ReplyDelete