Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What's "Goth"?

It wasn't that long ago when I was searching for the exact same answer. Thankfully, I finally found it, and now I know what I have gotten myself into (and love it). Therefore, I think that this little blog has gone on long enough without me explaining myself to the Internet world.

Since just about the dawn of civilization (I'm sure), there have always been people who, for the most part, are strange. These weirdos like different things from you; they're not scared of what you're scared of; they aren't attracted to what you're attracted to . . . . All in all, they're just plain weird. Despite a person's view of them, however, they do make up a large portion of the world, with their capes and make-up and corsets and shit-load of black clothing. Ah yes. Those people. So where did those people come from? Are they spawns from demons? Maybe even Satan himself? Probably.

Heh. I'm just kidding.

Throughout the years, however, there really have been people who think differently from others. The ones that I am talking about like deep and dark things. They have a much more artistic side than others do. They want answers. And they like black. But never ever before had there been an actual culture for these "lost souls" to identify with . . . until the late 70s/early 80s.

Around the 70s, there was the Punk subculture. But then some followers from that music genre sort of dispersed. Bands started forming a "new music genre" (my words, no one elses; correct me if I'm wrong, by all means), and the four bands, The Cure, Bauhaus, Siouxie and the Banshees, and Joy Division, became the original Goth music groups.

This music that we all know and love usually has very dark lyrics and sounds (you know Emilie Autumn? Like that. By the way, Emilie Autumn's status is kind of hard to identify, because she's always changing her style. That doesn't mean that we don't love her, though) that "connect" with the fans. Our fashion, as I'm sure everyone knows, contains mostly black. However, like I have said before, there are many different "types" out there. Which, by the way, means that we don't all dress the same . . . regardless of what the South Park goth kids believe (by the way, I love those brats! Especially the little one). And our "mindset"? Perhaps it's made up of things that others find morbid and dodgy (I suppose the biggest example I can think of is death. However, that is not me saying that we're all obsessed with death, just that its an example. Nothing more).

Lady Amarath, Goth model
Source:  Lady Aramath's website


People in the scene argue a lot over which is more important:  the fashion, the music, or the common "worldview". However, I believe that that subject is good enough to have its very own post . . . perhaps I'll do it next.

I'm not very satisfied with this post, to be honest, because I know that if I didn't already know what Goth is, then I wouldn't know what I'm talking about. So let me try to recap:

A Goth person is one who follows the music (which is usually dark), dresses the fashion (mostly black, but lots of other colors too, which include other dark colors, and some bright), and has the overall common beliefs (like dark things are better).

Hey . . . I think that summary was better than the post itself. Man, I'm horrible. I guess I should give myself a break, because I was still unsure with myself when I first read about the subculture. Ah well.

Again, tell me if I screwed anything up or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment